Sunday, October 9, 2011

Acorns and a fun new Hawthorn



Collecting acorns straight from the tree is so much fun we had to go back for more.  Our English Oak (Quercus robur) of choice is overshadowed by a large Atlas Cedar and forced to sprawl out for light.  I climbed up into the tree and had fun balancing on the low spreading branches while picking acorns.  On our bike ride home I spotted some ornamental hawthorns growing next to the Parliament Building with large red fruit.  A few days ago I tasted the fruit of the same species planted next to Leigh’s house and was immediately reminded of haw, a dried fruit snack that I had when I was in China.  I looked up haw and discovered that the tree has large red fruit and leaves that look just like those planted here in Victoria, so I am going to call it Chinese Hawthorn (Crataegus pinnatifida).  We collected a bag full from limbs that were low enough to reach, and took them home to mash, strain the seeds out of, and freeze so that I can make my own haw when I finish drying acorns and have free baking sheets again. Pin It submit to reddit