Thursday, October 20, 2011

Acorn Bread

Full days pass quickly, and I have a hard time believing how much foraging there is to do.  I feel like a farmer that always has chores to do, except Nature does all the tedious work and leaves me with only the most enjoyable tasks.  I scouted out the English Oak (Quercus robur) trees along Superior Street today and found that the acorns are starting to brown, but for the most part, are still hanging on to the tree.  I suspect they will start to fall in large quantities soon.  The ones that I picked are much larger than those Katrina and I picked from the tree a couple weeks ago. 

My acorn meal finished leaching and I drained the water to make some flat bread.  I added maple syrup and fried it on low heat for about 10 minutes on each side.  The final product was very tasty!  As we were cooking the rest of dinner, Shin and Andra came over with a large basket of mushrooms.  They had been picking at Durrance Lake and had some nice young Fat Jacks, Milk Caps, a Short Stem Russula and a few Shrimp Russula to show for their labour.  We fried the milk caps and Shrimp Russulas, which were tasty.  Then we tried the Short Stem Russula, which was rather tasteless, but was improved (like everything in this world) with soy sauce.  I made some wild rice and the entire meal—save the onion—was all free, farmed or wild.  Shin and Andra helped us shell a bunch of English Oak acorns which I will leach next.
Pin It submit to reddit

2 comments:

  1. Melissa Price told me about your blog site. Very nicely done and quite addicting for those who share your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog.

    I have written a few articles about oaks and acorns and their almost symbiotic link with people since Palaeolithic times. You might find them interesting.

    In this post I tried to answer the question why were oak trees and oak groves considered sacred in the past? Maybe the reason is that oaks are one of the most useful trees in the world.

    http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/10/oaks.html

    In this post I presented archaeological evidence we have for human consumption of acorns during the Palaeolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic, Copper age, Bronze age and Iron age.

    http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/11/acorns-in-archaeology.html

    In this post I discussed the possibility that it was people who brought oaks back into Europe after the last ice age.

    http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/11/how-did-oaks-repopulate-europe.html

    In this post I tried to answer the question whether the acorn was the original corn and whether this is why are Thunder deities which are linked with oaks are also linked with agricultural grain cults?

    http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/12/eating-acorns.html

    I this post I talk about the origin of Christmas trees (pine and oak). I discussed the possibility that these trees were considered the trees of life because they were the main sources of food during the Mesolithic. I ask whether these two trees are somehow connected to the ancient idea of the garden of Eden, the Golden age "when humans enjoyed the spontaneous bounty of the earth without labour in a state of social egalitarianism"?

    http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/12/christmas-trees-from-garden-of-eden.html

    Finally I wrote about the possibility that the it was the consumption of acorns that lead to the invention of grinding stone. And the possibility that the Bulaun stones from Ireland are ancient acorn grinding stones, like the ones we find in North America.

    http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/12/bullaun-stones.html



    ReplyDelete